Friday, January 19, 2024

1/19/24 Weekend Update

Happy New Year! Not really much to say besides that. This will likely be a short entry. But let's talk about the weather, my junipers and JBP, and 

Alright, let's talk about the weather! Up until last week, I was joking that 23-24 would be the year without a winter. With the El Nino, it's been unseasonably warm. Last Thursday, that all changed! It got down to 13! The pipes to my shower froze. They were frozen from Friday to Tuesday. The rest of the pipes were fine, so we were able to take hot bucket baths. Tuesday, the weather started warming up and when the pipes thawed, there was no damage. Roads have been fun. Lots of snow since Thursday. Lots of ice. Shitty conditions. I swept a path from the front porch to the back door so I could get to my trees. The trees seem fine, by the way. I'm sure I'll likely lose some, as I always lose a couple every winter. 

Speaking about my trees: I ordered 20 small junipers (Juniperus procumbens 'Nana') earlier. I personally do not like junipers. Reason: it's what every shitty 'bonsai' retailer pushes. Home Depot, Walmart, van on the side of the road. Shitty little 'trees' with that WHOOSH! shape that looks more like a Nike symbol than a tree. Whatever! People really like the junipers, so... yeah.

Japanese Black Pine (JBP). Yeah. Awesome trees. The poster child of what bonsai is. Bonsai aficionados apreciate and love them. I'm not a huge fan. I much prefer a Japanese maple. Regardless, I ordered 20 seedlings. They're a couple years and they started life as 'cuttings', so they had a good start. I just ordered them, they should arrive this weekend. Maybe I'll include some pictures. These are small. Ideally, I'd do some work on them and grow them out before being offered for sale. 

I also wanted to order some Vine maple seedlings (Acer circinatum). They're native to here. But I only have so much space. Maybe next year. 

That's pretty much all I have. Just wanted to jump on, say something, and tuck myself back into winter mode. I still haven't done any clay, but I will start again soon.

Very soon. 

No comments:

End of Month Update 4/30/24

  Last update I talked about the new studio I was going to. Here are my thoughts:  Wow! I forgot how fun it is to go to an active studio. Th...