Monday, December 4, 2023

12/4/23 Weekend Update

 Since last update in October, I haven't done much in the craft room. And that's by design. True, I did a few more pots, but for the most part, things have been quiet in there. I'm focusing on preparing for the spring with seeds and cuttings instead. 

Not sure if I mentioned that I have some crabapple hardwood cuttings. I pruned back the crabapples. I used the trimmings to create hardwood cuttings. I wrapped the cuttings in bundles and stuck them under the grow benches. I intend to allow them to callose up and try to grow them. Everyone says that you can't grow crabapple from hardwood cuttings, but I'm going to try anyway. 

While I was at it, I noticed the neighbor across the way trimmed back his Washington hawthorn. I grabbed the trimmings and created some cuttings. I've heard hawthorns grow from hardwood cuttings, so we'll see.

I also ordered some trident maple and ginkgo seeds. I've heard you can simply sow these seeds in the fall, so I have the ginkgo seeds outside. I intend to do the same with the trident maples. I'm going to order some vine maple seeds as well. I heard vine maples grow locally, so they should do good. Plus they look fire!

That's about it for now. 

No comments:

End of Month Update 4/30/24

  Last update I talked about the new studio I was going to. Here are my thoughts:  Wow! I forgot how fun it is to go to an active studio. Th...