Monday, July 24, 2023

Weekend Update 7/24/23: The Dig

 Seems no one reads this blog, so it seems I can say what I want and (hardly) no one will notice. With that in mind, let's talk about the weekend! 

I ran into a situation where due to unforeseen circumstances, a bonsai business is being liquidated. Over 20 years' worth of work. Full on specimens. Bonsai pots. Tools. Mudmen.This includes stuff that is still in growing beds, as even the property is being sold. Yet, even at liquidation prices, I can't afford the finished bonsai nor most of the other stuff. Instead, I'm focusing on the growing beds. I'm in the process of retrieving as much material as I can. That means digging out plants. In the summer. Not the most ideal situation, but this is basically a bonsai emergency. If these trees are not dug out of the bed, they'll be lost.

So far I was able to acquire the following: 

Sargent crabapples (Malus sargentii), QTY: 26*

Dwarf blueberry, QTY: 4*

Sango Kaku Japanese maple (Acer palmatum), QTY: 4*

Mugo Pine (Pinus mugo), QTY: 2

Kojo-No-Mai Japanese Mt Fuji Cherry (Prunus incisa) QTY: 2

I spent most of Saturday digging out these trees. There are another 36 or so crabapples in the grow beds that I have to go back to get. 

Update 7/27/23: I went back today and dug up another 10 crabapples. I now have 36. Also, the Kojo-No-Mai Mt Fuji Cherries are in 5 gallon pots. They need some TLC, so it's risky getting them.

I may go back and get more blueberry and Japanese maples. I may still be able to get the following

Ginkgo biloba

Japanese black pine

I was able to get 2 Japanese flowering quince – chojubai. They are very small. 

This has left me scrambling to find dirt, growing containers, and growing space in my tiny yard. 

Needless to say, I did not go to the Pumpkin Patch this weekend. I'm exhausted and so glad to be back at my regular job, where I can rest! 

All I have for now.


No comments:

End of Month Update 4/30/24

  Last update I talked about the new studio I was going to. Here are my thoughts:  Wow! I forgot how fun it is to go to an active studio. Th...