Friday, July 14, 2023

Midweek Update 7/14/23

I finished the reglazing, looks like I'll have a few pieces to drop off this weekend. I haven't done any new pottery work. I doubt I'll have time over the weekend as it sounds like my dance card is full. 

Seems like most times I mention a new growing project, that project eventually flops. I'll mention that some of the crabapple root cuttings I took earlier in the season seem to be taking. Most of the Chinese elm root cuttings are not taking, however. I knew it was risky when I took the cuttings. Live and learn. 

I had a few crabapple cuttings that I took from last year and wired them up. My plan was to have them for sale this year as mame bonsai. They decided they were going to grow out a bit later in the season. It's much too late to move them to bonsai pots. So I slip potted them from 4 inch pots to one gallon pots. Hopefully they'll put on some girth by next year. And if I'm lucky, they'll give me some hardwood cuttings I can harvest in the autumn. The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. 

That reminds me: I have a crabapple root cutting about 3 years old that I have in a cascade style. I noticed it's getting really twiggy and was going to cut them back. But hold the phone! I'll cut them back come autumn and I'll use them as cuttings for next spring. Yet, I've noticed that when I do that, the cuttings tend to be long, straight, and boring. So what I'll do is I'll wire the new growth, give it some movement. Then when I harvest and plant them, I'll have some cuttings with interesting movement built right in. 

All I have for now. 

No comments:

10/8/24 I Continue to do Pottery

I'm low on inventory. I need to make more of everything. I need large pots for my unpotted bonsai trees. I also need variety. I recently...