Wednesday, August 11, 2021

I Continue to Make Pottery


This is more of a posting for myself. Fair warning. 
Earlier in the year I started doing these 'Alien Egg' pots. Collectively, I'm referring this to the 'Cosmos' collection. Meant to look like the shell of an meteor or an alien egg. Some pieces in this collection sport feet or stabilizing discs. The dimpled texture outside is a distinguishing feature in this collection, meant to provide interest. This dimpling creates small pockets throughout the outside where the glaze puddles up, creating a very interesting texture and variability in the glaze. Another distinguishing feature in this collection is the smooth interior of the pots. There's examples of these pots all over my Etsy shop. 
Last year I made a small beholder pot for Aaron. Meant to be a lark, something made for fun. My kiln mistress liked it and requested one. So I used some of the techniques for creating the 'Alien Egg' pots to create a large (for me) beholder pot. I'm very pleased with the results and I will be making more of these in the future. Just one thing. It's round on the bottom. Like a lot of my pieces, I create the pot upside down and I was so focused on getting all the details right it that forgot to include a way for the pot to sit right. My solution was to create a cradle for the pot to sit in. In effect, making this a two-piece piece. I should be able to use the techniques I learned in creating this beholder pot to create other fantasy creature pots. 
I have a couple ideas I need to write down before I forget: 
Use the skull forms to create a Cthulhu mask. 
Make some dragon heads
That's it for now. 

No comments:

10/8/24 I Continue to do Pottery

I'm low on inventory. I need to make more of everything. I need large pots for my unpotted bonsai trees. I also need variety. I recently...