Saturday, May 16, 2020

5/16/20 Weekend Update with Pictures

So last update I stated I continue to make pottery and I posted a picture of the dragon head I made. Which then broke. Next day I made another dragon head. The day afterwards, that one broke as well. 
.....
KNOW WHAT? FUCK YOU UNIVERSE!
Nah, just kidding. The dragon heads did break. And yeah that was what was going through my head. But nah, not really. Sometimes shit happens. You shrug, roll your eyes, toss your broken dragon heads in the garbage and let out a FUCK IT!
And you move on.
Speaking of moving on....
Did I mention I moved all my indoors trees outside? Yep. Did it back in April. Now that I look at it, I think I did it a bit early, as I lost some trees and some got some frost burn. Whatever. Whatcha gonna do. Live and learn. Actually, I kinda knew it was too early, but I had to make room for my clay. So here's a picture of my indoor overflow planting area: 

 This was before I cut back the scheffleras of course. This picture was taken before the big move. Originally my growing area was supposed to have 4 levels with 4 lights. Because I failed to take into account my bonsai, I had to adjust the growing levels, which means I didn't have room for 4 growing levels, only three. Going forward, I'm assuming this will have to remain the same. I took one of the LED lights and used it for my clay area, as it was lacking in good light before. At any rate, I struck the growing shelves down, moved everything outside and set up my clay table in its place: 


In case anyone cares, this clay/overflow growing area is in my kitchen, right next to the back door. Previous tenants in this house used this area as a breakfast nook. It was even used as a tattoo table. 
Let's move on shall we? On the front left porch I have two areas for tropicals. In the front, I have the larger tropicals:



Here you see some scheffleras that were not cut back, but allowed to grow. On the right are the f. religiosa. Unfortunately, they got a bit frost bit and lost a bit of their leaves. They'll either make it back or I'll lose a bunch of them. It's up to them now. On the left, you'll find an assortment of ficus trees and larger scheffleras. Overall, these seemed to have weathered the cool weather much better, though there was some leaf loss. Expected. OH! Below this bench are some seeds. Most of them are shit and worthless. But there has been some that grow good. I did get a few good crab apple seedlings. And out of about 72 goumi seeds planted last summer, I did get about 6-10 to actually sprout. I have more seeds down there, but the rest aren't doing shit. Moving on to the bench to the left!


Here we have some schefflera cuttings that were cut back to stumps. The cuttings were then planted. Some made it. Some did not. Oh well. On the far left, off the bench, you'll see some F. religiosa seedlings. Cold bitten. Again, maybe they'll make it. Oh! But what is this on the bench, far left, first two rows as we see them? Those are the eight or so Wrightia religiosa (Water jasmine) that sprouted out of 78 or so seeds that I planted. They live outside now, at least until the end of summer. Then I don't know what will happen to them. Oh hey! On the grass in the background, you see some seedlings. Those are the crabapple seedlings I was talking about. Or maybe you saw the wood soaking in a tub. Yeah we got rid of the goldfish. I cleaned out the aquarium and set it back up for tropical fish. That is some African root I bought for the aquarium. Has to soak for about two weeks or more, otherwise it will release too much tannins in the water, staining it yellow. I Also bought some lace rock. Came in the mail the day before yesterday. I soaked those as well overnight, then I set up the aquarium with the rock, wood and some plants. Here's a picture: 

 Sorry, got a little side tracked. Let's get back to the tour. Where were we... the front porch. Yes, you've seen what's to the left. To the right I have a bunch of ficus cuttings and some f. religiosa: 

We've already talked about what happened to the religiosa. But the ficus cuttings have taken well to the cool weather and are now even thriving! 
Let's jump off the front porch and take a quick look at the side of the house! That's where I keep the temperate trees. I mentioned that earlier in the year I cleaned up and rearranged a bit here. This next picture is the far left: 

On the top, starting from the left, I have my birthday Chinese elm. Here's a picture of it for reference: 


In front of it I have a few apple seedlings that I grew last year. I wired these up. Looks like I lost one, but the rest look good. I'm a bit proud of how they look, so I took a picture: 


To the right of the Chinese elm in the back, I have my crab apple cuttings that I found in the back last year. One didn't make it, the other is bursting with new growth. To the right of that, I have another crabapple and finally a Juniper. Going to the front (this is still the top row), next to the apple seedlings, I have a tiny trident maple, a pine seedling that Aaron found, and a small Chinese elm root cutting. Right behind that root cutting I have the full moon maple air layer cutting I did last year. Didn't take pictures of these, but they look good! Next to that I have some crab apples, my dwarf rhodie, and neagari azalea projects. Here's a picture: 


Bottom shelf I have a bunch of cuttings I have growing in that tray. Next to that there's a bunch of Chinese elm root cuttings first in one gallon pots, then in 4 inch pots. Here's a picture of the Chinese elm root cuttings: 


Next to that I have some goumi seedlings, then ONE gouji seedling. Next I have two rows of crab apple seedlings, then a bunch of crap apple root cuttings. Here's a picture of thee crab apple root cuttings: 
  
Next row I have my birthday crab apple:

Plus a bunch of shit up there. There's some trident maples, a bitchin Japanese maple, some dwarf roses, just a random assortment of shit including some strawberries. Really, this row has just run a muck. Take a look for yourself: 


 Moving on to the row below, this is mostly juniper cuttings. there's some azalea cuttings on the far left, but for the most part, this is an order shelf:
 Final shelf I have has a spruce, more strawberries, a mame Japanese maple, various kusamono/accent plants, and a few oak trees. Aaron still has not built me that one shelf he promised me, but instead we have some succulents for accent plan material:





Did I forget to mention that one of my spider pots has taken up residence in my garden?
Finally, not even on a proper shelf, I have a bunch of olive trees and starter succulent and sedums: 

 Moving down the line, here's a picture of the full moon maple I bought from that nursery last year: 

What a difference! Loaded the top of the pot with some scoria and some osmocote. Really seems to have helped. GORGEOUS!!! 
Finally, I get to Aaron's area. He mostly has a bunch of strawberries growing here: 

He's Also growing some sedums and a couple of kusamonos: 



 So that concludes the tour. I'll leave you with a picture of a mame Japanese maple and some kusamono. A perfect marriage of my bonsai and pottery. 



That's all for now. 

No comments:

10/8/24 I Continue to do Pottery

I'm low on inventory. I need to make more of everything. I need large pots for my unpotted bonsai trees. I also need variety. I recently...