Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Weekend Update 7/5/23

 So the glaze firing is ready to be picked up. I'll likely skip the Pumpkin Patch next week and go pick up on Saturday instead.

Went to Pumpkin Patch on Saturday; I'm lacking product, so it's no surprise that I didn't have much sales. I was able to pick up a Japanese maple and a pair of gingkos.

Being it was an extended weekend, I wanted to stay off the roads as much as possible. I had a BBQ marathon: smoked a roast on Sunday, grilled burgers on Monday, smoked ribs on Tuesday. I also worked on pottery. 

Monday night, Hunter was saying I should do a puffer fish. Similar to the sea urchin pots, but a puffer. So Tuesday I made a puffer fish. I didn't get a picture of that, but I've included pictures of all my weekend clay projects. I tried to load them in chron order, but things got screwed up. So I'm posting pictures of my projects going backwards. 

Let's start with Tuesday! Bernadette was off so I started the day with French toast, jam, bacon and a nice hot cup of coffee. 



Wish you were here! Over breakfast, she mentioned that I should make some dragons. Yes, I said, I made a dragon head yesterday. 

'No no! You should make a full dragon! You haven't made one in a long time!' She added.

I tried telling her that full-on dragons are difficult to create in ceramic. That's something that is better for polymer clay media. That argument was futile, so right after breakfast, I made a dragon with butterfly wings, out of pure frustration:

It's hard to get the details right with a piece this small. Also, I have a tendency to make my pieces lean away from me. You can see the lean in the next picture.
This next picture is too dark, but oh well. I guess one will have to wait until this piece is finished.

Monday I did a dozen APEO size octopus pots. I think I may have done a couple medium pots. Either that or I did the medium pots on Sunday. This led to Hunter's suggestion that my stuff is getting predictable (here we go again!).
Sunday I did a dragon head and large Cthulhu. I think I also did a 'saddle' pot, just cause I had some extra clay. 
Anyways, here's some pictures of the Cthulhu pot:
I built up the pot after adding the tentacles. Overall I'm pleased with the end result.
The eyebrow on the left is a bit lower than I wanted, but meh, not a bit deal.
Let's talk about the dragon head! Always fun to make and a very standard-ish piece. I've done this countless times in my head!
Here's a head-on view of the dragon head: 
Oh and look! I made a dragon head with no cone! So proud of myself!
I didn't get a chance to do spider pots. And I didn't do enough dragon heads or large pieces. I wanted to do more! But there's always next week!

All I have for now. 

No comments:

10/8/24 I Continue to do Pottery

I'm low on inventory. I need to make more of everything. I need large pots for my unpotted bonsai trees. I also need variety. I recently...