Monday, April 24, 2023

4/24/23 Weekend Update

 The Pumpkin Patch Flea Market was pretty much a repeat of last week:

It was cold.

It was soggy. 

It rained a tiny bit. 

Not much in sales, but I didn't have to pay for being out there. Some butt-munch stole my spot, and I wanted to be away from that butt-munch, so I was away from my regular spot. I'd like to blame them for having so few sales, but the truth is, it was just cold and soggy. Not a lot of people out there because of the weather. It's still a bit early in the season, but it's good to get out there early and establish a presence. I'm likely not going to be there every weekend, but I'll be out there on a regular basis for sure. 

I found a local supplier of scoria (lava rock) and at a good price! I bought 2 cubic feet of scoria as well as 1 cubic foot of pumice. I also picked up a bag of non-clumping clay kitty litter.  I was able to make almost 20 gallons of bonsai soil using the following ratio: 

2 parts potting soil mix 

1 part non-clumping clay kitty litter 

1 part pumice 

1 part scoria 

I only used about half the scoria in making my bonsai soil mix. I'll be able to use some of the remaining scoria as a dressing when making a bonsai. 

I decided to pot up one of the Chinese elm root cuttings I created a couple years ago. Come to think of it, I think I created the root cuttings before Covid, so it had to be 3 years. But that's not important, the point is that in the short time since I took the root cutting, it's grown into a lovely little bonsai. Just like that! Sometime this week I'll root prune the Chinese elm mother tree that I have and I'll take some more root cuttings. It's a great way to get great material in a relatively short time! 

All I have time for right now. 

No comments:

10/8/24 I Continue to do Pottery

I'm low on inventory. I need to make more of everything. I need large pots for my unpotted bonsai trees. I also need variety. I recently...