Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Quick Blurb, Ideas

 I picked up my finished work on 9/12. Everything came out really nice. I don't have pictures because I loaded everything into one big box and I'm too lazy to dig them out. It's not just taking them out of the box. They have to be categorized and inventoried, pictures need to be taken, descriptions need to be made for each one. It's actually a bit involved. I'll likely do all that this weekend. Right after I wrote this (9-14), I went home and took everything out of the box I had them in from the weekend. The pots that might go on Etsy I categorized, inventoried, photographed and wrote up individual descriptions for each one. I also prepped the stuff that will not b sold on Etsy. Some of it may go to the Flea Market

The two beholder pots. WOW! Better than expected. I ended up gifting them as a pair to Casey. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of them before gifting them. She has promised to send me some pictures. I did make three beholder pots, the third one is still greenware. I will make more. 

On the subject of things to make, here's a short list of things to make: 


Dragon Heads

Beholder Pots

Cthulhu Pots

Giant Sea Urchin

APEO Pots


Using beach balls as forms has been working good. I use cheap beach balls from the dollar store. I happen to have a hand pump with ball needle so I can deflate the ball once ready. Then I can reinflate the ball and reuse. This provides a nice round shape to which I can then build up on. 

The fact that it's a round bottom form has not been a big issue so far. In the case of the 'Cosmos' or 'Alien Egg' series, this is overcome by either adding small feet or flattening out the bottom while the clay is still pliable. In the case of the beholder pots, this was overcome by creating a separate 'cradle' for the main form to sit on top of. The beholder became fused to the cradle during the glaze firing on both of the beholder pots I made. 

I could use the same techniques in creating the beholder pots to create larger, elaborate pieces. The use of a cradle or secondary piece on which the main piece sits makes up for having a round bottom. 


No comments:

10/8/24 I Continue to do Pottery

I'm low on inventory. I need to make more of everything. I need large pots for my unpotted bonsai trees. I also need variety. I recently...